There are literally hundreds of thousands of apps available
on Apple’s App Store and Android’s Marketplace. With this many apps accessible online,
the content ranges from games to dictionaries, handy little flashlights to a restaurant
tip calculator. Not only this though; companies are building apps to make their
website and features more easy and navigable on a mobile device. Forrester Research predicts that over the next
four years companies will spend approximately $17 billion on app development.
Kayak, a travel search company, can attest to the growing
demand for and reliance on apps. They currently dedicate 20% of their engineers
to app development. But this is only recent--the app was only created in 2009
when “it became obvious…that people think of their mobile phone as their
computer, where they demand full functionality of websites on the move to plan
itineraries for themselves.” With so many people constantly on the go using
mobile devices, this shouldn’t be surprising.
As is appropriate, this now changes the way Kayak does
business and thinks, “We take guidance from what’s going on with the app and
adapt the website, not the other way around.” The takeaway? Businesses should devote
at least some time and resources to app development and support. With app
building software easily accessible and affordable, this shouldn’t be hard.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/20/business/travel-apps/index.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/20/business/travel-apps/index.html

Interesting post and statistics on apps! It's amazing the amount of resources that go into an app. GREAT post!
ReplyDeleteI like most students am addicted to my smartphone and love fun and convenient apps. However, I don't know if I'd want to plan a vacation or book flights via my smartphone yet, when it still has issues sending emails and tweet. Good post though. Cory Checketts.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh $17 billion on app development! That is disgusting! I officially need to be an app developer! I could not comfortably live with out my iphone because of all the amazing apps help to make my life more organized, entertaining, and glamorous than it really is!
ReplyDeletethat is some crazy stats! 17 billion on app development! Apps are so cool, I didn't really understand them as much until I got my iphone, but now I can't live without them! the convenience is the ultimate.
ReplyDelete