Monday, April 9, 2012

Social Media Site Passwords


“Privacy is not a partisan issue,” says Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal (D) about the new bill he is drafting in response to a recent common interview question.  “What are the passwords to your social media accounts?” an employer may ask. But this question has the potential of putting both the interviewers and interviewees in a rough spot. That's why Senator Blumenthal plans to enlist the help of colleagues on both sides of the aisle to pass the bill. 



Most people will not and do not feel comfortable giving out access to their social media sites to potential employers-not because they are afraid of what an employer might find, but for privacy reasons. But until the time that a bill gets passed to stop this practice, an individual seeking a job should be prepared in the event that this question comes up. Tony Morrison, Vice President of Business Development at Cachinko, gives a few suggestions of things to say for those who might feel uncomfortable divulging such information:

1-“I am very careful with my personal, private online persona and do not feel comfortable giving out any passwords. But you can feel free to look at my profile as it appears to you as a company right now, if you would like.”
2-“I would never participate in social media on the organization’s time and ask that the organization will respect my personal social media rights outside of work.”
3-“My LinkedIn network is a great place for you to review my professional  experience  and see the professional connections that I have that may be of benefit to your organization.”
4-“Is that something that is required to move forward with this job interview?”

Statements such as these will hopefully improve the situation and help the employer to realize the importance of privacy to you.

But asking this question can also be damaging to the potential employer. If they find that the interviewee is part of a protected group and the position is not offered, an employer could potentially put themselves in a sticky legal situation on the grounds of discrimination.

It is beneficial for both the interviewee and employer if this question is not discussed during an interview. If it does come up though, remember that it is not required for hiring. By withholding your social media site passwords you may be protecting both yourself and your future employer.

References:

3 comments:

  1. It would NEVER occur to me to request a password from someone I'm interviewing. I may ask for permission to access their public profile, but that's it. I cannot imagine invading someone's privacy in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting issue. I think it's totally appropriate to check out a hopeful employees social media profiles to get a sense of who they are, but requesting passwords goes way to far. I can't say that I haven't looked up job candidates online to see what kind of person they are. It can be helpful, but needing a password is a little ridiculous. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never give out my passwords! This is an interesting situation and can create many ethical issues. I don't feel employers should be allowed to ask this information just as they can't ask for other personal banking information. Great post!

    ReplyDelete